The modern stone church is located on the site of former wooden church of St. Michael the Archangel that was built in 1786, and at the end of the XIX century it was in emergency condition. In order not to endanger the parishioners, the priests decided to dismantle the upper tier and domes. In 1897 the construction of a new, stone church began.
In Soviet times, the church in Nova Sloboda, like many others, was closed. During the war a bomb hit the building, and after that it was used as a warehouse and village council.
Interestingly: the parishioners did not accept the closure of the shrine. On the money they collected, they bought a dilapidated house for worship. Local authorities prevented such an initiative, and people were forced to bring construction materials and equip the place at night.
In the 90s of the previous century, restoration began, which lasted until 2000. In the fall of 2001, the church was consecrated and the parishioners were able to pray again within its walls. The architecture of the restored church differs from the original: the bell tower was made bunk and lower, on the western façade mosaic elements were added. The church is cross-shaped, single-domed. All parts of the temple are rectangular in plan.
Sumy region, New Sloboda village
51.374941 | 34.13362