The hillfort, located in the tract of Gorodok, is a citadel of the ancient Kyivan Rus city of Putivl. The first mention in the annals of Putivl as a city with a large population and powerful fortifications dates back to 1146. From the second half of the 12th century Putivl became the capital city of one of the lines of the Chernihiv princedoms. Putivl was built on the order of Prince Volodymyr for the protection of Kyiv Rus in the 10th century on the site of the sanctuary of the ancient Slavs.The ancient settlement was on a high hill above the Seym River. it has a beautiful view, which to this day pleases the eye, and in those years allowed to effectively perform a defensive function.
The ancient city became famous thanks to the "Song of Igor's Campaign," which describes that the prince's army was sent from Putivl to his unsuccessful trek, and it was here that Princess Yaroslavna cried with bitter tears parting with her husband. Therefore, in the town there is a monument to the Princess
Sumy region, Radyanska Street, Putyvl
51.329224 | 33.863779